Artist's Prosperity 101 - Please watch!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Acting, Careers & Money

Today I want to finish up the article from Bob Fraser regarding acting careers, and the responsibility that go along with it. If you missed the earlier installment, please see below, but enjoy...


The main reason I am passing along this letter and my answer is because I get a lot of mail with this sort of request for 'help.'


"Can you look at my headshots and pick out the best one?"


"Can you send me the names of some agents who will help me start my acting career?"


"Will you read my screenplay idea and give me your thoughts on how I can sell it to Warner Brothers?"


"Can you get my pictures to J. Lo? I want to work with her."


"Should I move to New York or Hollywood?"


"I have an idea for a show I can star in. If you can get it to the right people, we can split the profits."


"Do I need a manager? If so, could you tell me who the good ones are? I don't want to get cheated."


... and so on. Okay ...


One of the first (most important) things I talk about in my courses, my articles, my columns and my blogs is the absolute necessity of doing the legwork and homework yourself.


As long as you live in a world where someone else is going to do the work it takes to get you into the acting business - well, you are not going to move forward - and you will probably get hurt ... financially or otherwise.


In fact, it is precisely this mindset that scammers are looking for. When a scammer meets an actor who believes it is possible for someone else to make it happen FOR them - he knows he's landed a sucker.


This belief in a one-step process (or a short-cut, or a secret doorway, or an easy way 'in') is what gets most actors in trouble.


When you think all you have to do is 'convince' an agent to represent you and you'll be on your way - you're just asking for trouble. The kind of agent that can be 'convinced' is generally a scam artist.


Real agents make their own decisions based on their assessment of how much money you'll make as an actor. If you aren't making any money now, don't expect a legitimate agent to be very interested in you.


When you focus all your energy on getting into the union - you are going to be unpleasantly surprised at the result. 93.6% of members of the acting unions earn less than 243 dollars a year. (This is one of my fake statistics - but I'll bet it's close.) Can you live on $243 a year? NO. That will barely cover your dues. 


Will it be different for you when you get into the union? Not if you think getting into the union is a step you must take to be successful.


It isn't.


If you concentrate on making money as an actor, you will get into the unions and land an agent ... as a matter of course.


If you up and move to Hollywood or New York (London, Mumbai, Sydney, Vancouver, etc.) without a solid plan of action - in the hopes that you will meet someone who will help you achieve your dream ... you ARE going to end up an unhappy camper.


Again, scammers are looking for uninformed pigeons all the time. They will spot you, trap you and take your money. They're good at it. They've been doing it for years.


The absolute truth is that there are MANY steps (and a lot of them are difficult) that you MUST TAKE ON YOUR OWN - if you ever expect to make your goal of becoming a professional actor a reality.


Here are just a few:


You must learn how to get a good picture. This is not a matter of finding a good photographer - it's a matter of learning what you must do to make a great picture happen ... no matter who takes the pictures.


You must learn the 'culture' of show business and work within that reality. Most actors think this will "just come naturally" and find themselves, five years later, still working at a crummy job and trying to 'make it' in their spare time.


You must take care of yourself - yourself. 90% of actors don't have a sugar daddy or a family who will take care of them as they pursue their dreams. Somehow, successful actors make it a point to 'take care of business' by themselves. If you

need a 'keeper' to get the basics taken care of ... then your prospects are dim.


You must make a lot of decisions.


You will have to decide on a budget for your acting business. 


You will have to decide whether your new 'friends' are for real or out for your money.


You will have to learn the 'map of the territory.'


You must decide what niche will work best for you.... and I'm just skimming the surface.


This idea, that you have to find other people to help you, is a major mistake. MAJOR MISTAKE.


This mindset is the reason I put together my four acting career courses, You Must Act!, Nail It! Headshot Secrets Revealed, and Action!


Not to plug the courses too outrageously, but if you want to know what ALL THE REAL STEPS you must take to have a professional acting career, get my courses. 


(The nice thing about my stuff is that if they don't work for you, you can get your money back - be sure to read my One Year Guarantee for details.)


Also, read the biographies of successful actors.


Almost every biography has the elements (steps) that lead to a career in the business.


And you should read David Mamet's books - and K.Callen's books -- and Stanislavski - and Michael Shurtleff, Allan Miller, Lee Strasberg - well, it's a very long reading list. (Not to mention Michael Caine's video acting classes.)


In other words, there is lot of homework for you to do. 


A dream without work to make it happen, remains a dream. You can't spend a dime of the money you make in dreams.


Is it easy to do it all this work on your own?


NO.


Is there a shortcut?


NO.


Is there another way?


NO.


You have to do it. Agents, managers, connections, etc - are people who come along AFTER you have started to succeed ... on your own.


There are three elements you must have in order to be successful on your own:


You must be willing to learn ... INFORMATION


You must do what it takes ... HARD WORK


You must not give up ... TENACITY


You don't need an agent, a manager, a teacher, a photographer, a friend, a lover, a consultant, a coach, or sugar daddy to take the steps necessary to get you to your destination.


In fact, if you wait for somebody else to do things for you, you will be waiting a long time ...


... like forever.


If you want to be a professional actor, you must get the information, do the hard work and be willing to keep at it for a while.


In other words... YOU must act.



Great article, so I really appreciate Bob letting us re-post it from his newsletter. And I feel that, although it is obviously directed at actors, the message is applicable across the artistic spectrum.


I would welcome any comments on this, so please leave them here, and I promise I will respond.


Also, if you are interested in courses to take you from your acting schools or art programs to a career in acting or the arts, don't forget to check out our monthly audio program "Monthly Money Management".


Until next time, to your prosperity!

No comments: