Artist's Prosperity 101 - Please watch!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

You Must Act - Article

I have re-printed this article from our friend Bob Fraser of You Must Act fame (an excellent resource for actors - highly recommended), as it addresses a number of issues that people bring up to us all the time.

Bob's work can seem confrontational, but with 50 odd years of experience as actor, writer, producer and director in this business, few teachers out there offer such a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Anyway, here is the first half, courtesy of Bob Fraser:

All right. I'm going to get in the pulpit this time and 'preach.' 


For longtime readers there will be some old themes in this diatribe - so bear with me. For those of you who are newer subscribers - please pay close attention...


I get hundreds of letters a week and most of them are lovely. Many people write to say thanks and those letters are great to get.


However, I also get letters from actors who think that I'm the answer to their problems. They know I can help them. If only I would.


Here's a typical letter:


(I've changed the name and obscured the location.)


"Dear Bob,


"Unfortunately, I cannot buy your courses right now. Maybe later. I have lots of expenses. Can you tell me what I need to do to become an actor. Do I need to go to acting school? And if I do, where are the good ones? How much do they cost, etc?


"I live in 'xxxxx' and I don't think there are any good acting schools, or even any, in 'xxxxx.' If

you could just tell me how to become an actor and help me find a good school to learn acting - when I win the Oscar I'll be sure to thank you, ha ha."


"Signed, Jill" 


Two interesting things about this letter. First, although she can't buy my courses which contain

the information she is seeking - she expects me to take time out of my schedule to do her "legwork" for her. Secondly, she thinks this request will result in her winning an Oscar - somehow.)


Here's my answer:


Dear Jill,


There are many fine acting schools in 'xxxxx.'


Since you are sending me an email, I assume you have a working knowledge of the internet. A quick trip to Google and a search for theatre training, acting training, acting school, plus 'xxxxx' will get you a lot of results.


You have brought up two important things in your letter that I feel I must address. First that

later is an actual time - a real place. Second that I can help you to achieve your dream by

doing your homework for you.


Jill, it has been my observation (over a 50 year career)  that 'later' rarely happens when it comes to our dreams.  


Dreams come true, goals are accomplished, careers are built - by taking action now.


That's WHY the title of my first course is ...


You Must Act! 


If I added a word to the title, it would be ... 'NOW.'


Getting right to the crux of your "help" idea:


No one else is going to make your dream a reality FOR you. 


No one else is truly going to help you accomplish YOUR goals.


No other person on this earth can DO this for you.


The bottom line is (and always will be) this: Jill, if you don't do it - it won't get done.


So, no, I won't look up acting schools for you ... you do it. 


If you sincerely want to know what it  actually takes to accomplish your dream of acting professionally ... do what it takes to find out.


If you continue to believe that someone else is going to come along and take the steps needed to get you to the top - well, that used to be an E-ticket ride in Fantasyland. 


I know how hard it is to raise kids - my wife and I raised three. But if you believe you can't be a great mom AND an actor -- you've put aside the best tool you have (your brain), because you aren't THINKING it through. 


The reason I tell people to THINK things through is because of this truth: There is always a way.


You know that's the truth.


Since the beginning of human history the one thing we have always known is; there is always a way.


It's up to you to figure out what that 'way' is.


Whatever you do, don't wait for someone else to take the steps ... or 'later.'


Much Success


Bob Fraser 


More to follow

No comments: